Supported File Types
The following file types are supported in Paperless Parts for viewing and quoting:
- STEP (.step, .stp, .stpz)
- Jupiter Tessellation (.jt)
- Autodesk (.ipt)
- ACIS (.sat, .sab)
- Rhino (.3dm)
- CATIA V4 (.exp, .model)
CATIA V5 ( .catpart, .catshape )
- Solid Edge (.par, .psm)
- Parasolid (.x_b, .x_t)
- SolidWorks (.sldprt)
- Creo (.neu, .prt)
- Unigraphics/NX ( .prt)
- IFC (.ifc)
- Standard / AutoCAD (.dxf)
- Many / AutoCAD (.dwg)
- Scalable Vector Graphics (.svg)
- Print (.pdf, .tif, .tiff, image files: .jpeg, .png)
- Office Files (.pptx, .xlsx, .ods, .odp)
- Spreadsheets (.csv, .ods, .xlsx)
- Plain Text (.txt)
- Email files (.msg, .eml)
- Note: We will not parse the attachments of emails. We will only render the text content.
- bib, csv, dbf, dif, doc, docx, emf, eps, epub, fodg, fodp, fods, fodt, html, ltx, met, odd, odp, ods, odt, otg, ots, ott, pbm, pct, pdb, pgm, pot, potm, ppm, pps, ppt, pptx, psw, pwp, pxl, ras, rtf, sda, sdc, sdw, slk, ssd, stc, std, sti, stw, svm, swf, sxc, sxd, sxi, sxw, txt, uop, uos, uot, vor, wmf, wps, xhtml, xls, xlst, xlt, xml, xlsx, xpm
- Note. Currently we support sheet metal interrogation for the following vector file types: DXF, DWG, and vectorized PDFs. See our PDF Vectorization feature to convert PDFs to DXFs.
- Standard Mesh ( .stl, .3mf )
- 3D PDF (Adobe)
- Autodesk ( .3ds, .dwf, .dwfx )
- CATIA V5 ( .cgr )
- CATIA V6 ( .3dxml )
- COLLADA (.dae)
- GL Transmission Format (.glb)
- FBX (.fbx)
- Wavefront OBJ (.obj)
- PRC (.prc)
- VRML (.vrml, .wrl)
- ZIP file with:
- SolidWorks (.sldprt and .sldasm)
- PTC Creo (.prt and .asm)
- CATVIA (.catpart and .catproduct)
- Autodesk (.ipt and .iam)
- Note - SLDASM / ASM / Catproduct / IAM files are assembly instruction manuals to SLDPRTs / PRTs / Catparts / IPTs being the actual components and where the geometry is actually stored. Both are needed to construct the entire package. Instructions on how to upload-pack and go assemblies are outlined below. Uploading one without the other will produce an unable to display error.
You can upload other file formats but they will not be viewable in the system.
The following file types are supported for interrogation:
- exp, step, stp, sldprt, iges, igs, ifc, catpart, catshape, cgr, 3dm, x_b, x_t, ipt, jt, model, neu, prt, psm, sab, sat, par, stpz.
Use a format we don't support? Contact email@example.com and let us know.
Please note that IGS files are not preferred for interrogation. This file type does not contain the same amount of data a preferred file type like STEP or SLDPRT contains. Additionally, the interrogation will fail if the faces within the file are all type Spline. Similar to IGS, Spline faces containing less data than typical face types like Plane, Cylinder, Cone, etc.
CAD file formats like STLs and IGES are not analyzed as deeply by the Paperless Parts platform because they only contain mesh and surface information that cannot be interpreted for our manufacturing analysis. We recommend you ask your customer for a STEP file instead. Converting an IGES to a native or neutral CAD format will not work either. The STEP must be exported from the native CAD format, so it is best to ask your customer for a STEP file.
For Best Results, Use STEP and Native CAD File Formats
When quoting, upload STEP files or native CAD file formats like SLDPRT from SolidWorks to maximize the geometric analysis done to power your quotes.
Uploading Pack-and-go Assemblies
Paperless Parts supports the upload of pack-and-go assemblies within a ZIP file from SolidWorks, PTC Creo, Catia, and Inventor. Either collect all associated model and assembly files into a folder and compress that folder into a ZIP file (SolidWorks: sldprt and sldasm, PTC Creo: prt and asm, Catia: catpart and catproduct, Inventor: ipt and iam) or use built-in pack-and-go functionality:
Go to File > Pack-and-go > Configure with the settings highlighted in red below > Save
Go to File > Save As > Pack-and-go > Configure with the settings highlighted in red below > Search Now > Start
PTC Creo and Catia
Similar to the SolidWorks and Inventor steps, pack-and-go should be found either in the File drop-down or in File > Save As options. Ensure you are saving the package as a ZIP file, and make sure to include all components.
Limitations with Mesh and Surface CAD Formats
CAD file formats like STLs and IGES are not analyzed as deeply by the Paperless Parts platform because they only contain mesh and surface information that cannot be interpreted for our manufacturing analysis. Ask your customer for a STEP or SLDPRT file instead.
- IGS files are not preferred for our interrogation. This file type does not contain the same amount of data a preferred file type like STEP or SLDPRT contains.
- Files containing faces that are type
Splinewill have limited support. Similar to IGS,
Splinefaces contain less data than typical face types like
Note: Converting an STL or IGES to a native or neutral CAD format will not work either. The STEP must be exported from the native CAD format.